Monday, October 25, 2010

Did you watch Dr. Oz?

Did you watch Dr. Oz today? One of his topics was heartburn/acid reflux--or my favorite word ever . . . . GERD!!!! What kind of word is GERD?? Anyway, I learned a few things, and some things I already knew. For one thing (didn't really realize this), my FAT is pushing on my stomach, which helps to force the acid up and out of the stomach. Another thing I didn't know, your digestive system slows down in the evening. The doctor said it correlates with sun up and sun down. This is one more reason not to eat late in the evening, and if you do, to eat very lightly. I knew tight clothes contributed to acid reflux. But I can promise you, if I just ate some big meal, the last thing I want to be wearing is TIGHT CLOTHES. (not to mention the fact that fat people look especially bad in tight clothing) Over time acid reflux basically "sun burns" your esophagus, and can lead to esophageal cancer, which is one of the more difficult cancers to control/treat. Oh, and another thing I did NOT know, aspirin and ibuprofen can contribute to acid reflux/heartburn, as they can be very inflammatory to your stomach.

So, from now own when you stuff your face, remember if you OVER stuff to the point of causing heartburn/acid reflux, you could be increasing your chances of esophageal cancer. Not sure if that will keep me from over-serving myself, but its worth a try. In all seriousness, they said if you have heartburn more than twice a week for six weeks, you should seek medical attention. I probably should have been a doctor :)) All except for the fact I don't really like blood and guts. If I was going to subject myself to blood and guts I'd be a CSI tech!--Naaaah. Doctors probably make much better money. Oh well, guess there's no point worrying about either since I'm currently a wanna be real estate agent, who cleans houses to pay the bills!

3 comments:

  1. A doctor ???? Are you kidding me ?? You spray sick people with Lysol if they come to close to you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a valid point. Yes, people, its true . . . if you're ass has a stomach virus, or the flu, I am NOT above spraying you with Lysol. Seriously--I'm not playing. Just ask my little sister. She got a lot of stomach viruses--she also got sprayed ALOT. (could be why she has asthma now--but the important thing is I did NOT get a stomach virus--that's what matters) :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on staying informed!! All that knowledge will help you on this journey (and help me too b/c I keep forgetting to watch Dr. Oz!!). :)

    ReplyDelete